1. My Longreads essay, Fat Girl Cries Herself To Sleep At Night, was chosen as a Notable in Best American Essays 2019, published in October.
2. I received a fellowship from Tin House for the Craft Intensive in CNF w/ T Kira Madden in November.
3. I was chosen as a Desert Nights, Rising Stars Writers Conference Fellow (at ASU).
4. My Brevity essay Snowbound will be republished by Creative Nonfiction, in the Sunday Shorts series, in Dec 2019.
5. My essay Betty, about my father’s affair, and using the party line to meet men in my teens, will be published in my dream journal, Guernica.
1. I was admitted to Tin House Summer Workshop in CNF with Michelle Tea. There were 2,000 apps this summer so it feels good. 😀
2. I had a piece of fiction picked up by The Offing which will be published June 4th. It’s a weird/sexy little thing about a woman who gets paid to let people eat food off of her body.
3. Another essay going into my collection–about facesitting/smothering, BBW fetishes, and large/powerful women in art history and pop culture–was just accepted by Catapult.
4. Finally, my Longreads essay, Fat Girl Cries Herself To Sleep At Night, got a little special recognition that I can’t share publicly just yet. I will def share when I can!
Love y’all and thanks for stopping by.
Hey, I don’t post here enough. Life gets in the way. But mostly anxiety and self-loathing do. Anyway, here’s what’s going on since I last posted:
- I just had a little essay picked up by Brevity, about being first in my family to graduate high school and then attend Northwestern.
- I celebrated a year of sobriety! (Not my first rodeo, but hopefully my last)
- I went to the Tin House Winter Workshop in CNF and worked with Hanif Abdurraqib. It was a beautiful weekend, and I fell in love with the PNW.
- Ever since my Longreads essay came out last October, literary agents have been reaching out to talk about my essay collection. It’s a dark humor book (sort of like David Sedaris but, like, darker, fatter, broker, and Latina). I’m still trying to figure this process out. If you have tips, please slide into my DMs.
- My love life is still a mess. And dudes still sometimes ask to pay me to smother them (see Urban Dictionary smother)
This week I sold an essay to Longreads. It’s about living in my body and titled “Fat Girl Cries Herself To Sleep Last Night” (don’t worry, everyone, it’s a comedy). It will feature some of my mind-blowing color pencil illustrations. So get hype! My dog already is
My latest essay was published on The MFA Years: http://bit.ly/2kosqFI
In November I was asked to be interviewed for a short documentary about women and our reaction to the election results. Check it out!
Here’s the link: https://vimeo.com/200406862
Write Like You’re Still A Kid
“Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.” – Pablo Picasso
My new micro essay published in PEN Center USA & The Rattling Wall’s post-election anthology, Only Light Can Do That, released this week.
Here’s a video of a reading and Q&A I did for Latino storytellers at The University of Alabama. Here’s the link: https://vimeo.com/188004456